Index Thread Archive Jul-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jul-2002Index by Author for Jul-2002Index by Date for Jul-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: AC Voltage from Antenna
Author: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: 28-Jul-2002 15:42:30
Hi Mike,

Are these voltages measured between the shield and centre conductor or
between the shield and ground?

If between the shield and centre conductor, connect a low value resistor
(100 ohms? 1 kohm? pretty arbitrary) between the shield and centre
conductor and remeasure the voltage. I think you'll find that the
measured voltage will now be very low, indicating that the impedance of
the AC source is very high. If it were me and I found this to be the
case I would go ahead and connect the radio, having removed the test
resistor of course.

Comments anyone?

If you try this, let us know what you found.

Hope this helps

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Michael S. Mitchell, W6RW wrote:

>Hi.....we just installed an EF-130, a 4BA and a 620/340NZ at my
>QTH......I live relatively close to some high voltage power lines and
>during the installation we noticed that the antennas were "hot" with a
>little bit of electricity. We have measured 7.8 volts of AC on the 20
>meter feedline and on the 17/15 feedline. We have also measured that
>there is no voltage at all on the 40, 30 or on the 12/10 feedlines.....I
>presume that this is true because these antennas have feeding
>arrangements that look like a "short" at 60 cycles.
>
>I am afraid to connect either of the 2 "hot" feedlines to my radios for
>fear of damage to them. Has anybody else experienced this and does
>anybody have any suggestions for me.
>
>Tnx es 73 de Mike/W6RW

28-Jul-2002 Guy Olinger, K2AV
28-Jul-2002 Pete Smith