Index Thread Archive Aug-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2002Index by Author for Aug-2002Index by Date for Aug-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Update
Author: mperrin@ordata.com <mperrin@ordata.com>
Date: 01-Aug-2002 11:11:19
Have an update on my Sigma 5, since I last reported on using it at Field
Day. I participated in the recent IOTA contest from Canada's Gabriola
Island, IOTA NA075, which is west of Vancouver BC and reached by one hour
ferry ride.

I set up in the back yard of a friend's cabin, overlooking Montague Harbor
and facing south. The site is on a bluff about 40 feet above the water and
about 35 feet back from water's edge. I used a Kenwood TS 570D/G at 100
watts. [I also took a dipole and MFJ tuner to operate on 40.]

Propagation was very poor, but worked everthing I could hear except the
PJ2. The 1600 foot ridge to east and south east was too much to surmount
to work any EU or Caribe, save C6DX. Still some very nice contacts into
Pacific, including number of VK's and ZL's. I had no problem breaking the
pilups for ZK1USA, DU9RG, A35Rk and FK8HN,

The next trip with the Sigma 5 will be a trip by our Cinco Nueve Contest
Group, check us out at www.qsl.net/k7ar, to C6A this November for CQ WW CW
test. While not very scientific, the Field Day and IOTA trips show the
antenna works just fine.

Mark N7MQ
Eugene, OR

* 01-Aug-2002 mperrin@ordata.com