Index Thread Archive Aug-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2002Index by Author for Aug-2002Index by Date for Aug-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Which 40m antenna?
Author: Guy Olinger, K2AV <k2av@contesting.com>
Date: 05-Aug-2002 09:17:10
The biggest reason for going with the "N" elements is that they are
bolt and play and seem less affected by conductors around them.

The 340N will have a tighter pattern, better f/b, with better
rejection of off-pattern QRM and QRN. ANY 2 element yagi has
theoretical limits to it's pattern.

With the ocean to your rear when you are pointed to EU and Eastern
USA, the f/b may not serve you as well. Here on the east coast, the
rest of the USA and SW thunderstorms are off the back and side when
pointed to EU and the 3 element qualities are valuable.

Another reason for the 240N/340N is that they have far less of the
tribander 15 meter suckout phenomenon. The folding of the elements
moves the secondary resonance of the beam elements off the 15m band.
The 240x seems not as clean on this.

Good luck, Guy.