Index Thread Archive Aug-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Aug-2002Index by Author for Aug-2002Index by Date for Aug-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Comments Please
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 06-Aug-2002 22:42:03
Todd and all,

Henrik and I have already talked about this matter off line. My antenna
is a 5BA at 35 meters, up for 2 1/2 years. I agree 100% with his
observations. I was skeptical of the actual performance improvement from my
5BA installation, prior to installation, compared to my previous antenna
installation. Post installation, I was surprised and gratified at it's
performance.

A couple of caveats: Neither Henrik nor I have made direct comparisons
with other comparable yagi antennas. Our antennas, installed at 30 meters,
are a little higher than the average 20 meter height favored by so many
hams. The 5BA is a heavy and high windload antenna. I am on my third
rotator, now an Orion RC2800P. There is the cost of the three feedlines /
switch box to consider with this particular antenna. The separate feedlines
may be a partial reason for it's effectiveness. The gain and pattern is
modest on 10 meters compared to some of the antennas you listed. My
priorities were for solid performance on 20 and 15 meters and 10 meters is a
band I seldom use. The 5BA benefits from some extra measures to maintain
the integrity of the clamping connections with the feedlines and the hair
pin matching loops. My 5BA mast to boom clamp is forever slipping on the
mast. Don't know what to do to fix it.

I love my 5BA and don't contemplate replacing it soon.

Regards,

John Petrich, W7FU