Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4C 40 Meter Dipole
Author: Jim Brannigan <jbrannig@optonline.net>
Date: 05-Oct-2002 17:27:49

> I am planning to install a C4C 40-meter dipole on my
> C3S that will be located at about 30-35 feet above the
> ground. My ham friends who work 40 meter DX tell me
> that a dipole located less than a half-wavelength
> above the ground will have no direction capability and
> because of its high angle of radiation, I am told that
> this dipole may only be a local antenna.

The various Handbooks, Antenna Books and assorted articles....treat the
subject of antenna height in far more detail then can be contained in an
e-mail.
The simple answer is yes, but........

> Others who have used a 40-meter dipole tell me that it
> is quieter and has ground reflection gain not seen by
> a vertical.
See above. Horizontally polarized antennas are generally quieter than
Vertical antennas.
They also have a lower radiation angle than low (electrically) horizontal
antennas. The advantage of a rotatable dipole is that you might be able to
null QRM off the ends.
Antennas are affected by their environment, soil, power lines, othe
structures, hills, etc. Each installation, particularly in a restricted
suburban location, will present a challange.

Effective use of propagation will tend to offset installation handicaps.
The 80M portion of my 5BDXCC was worked with a G5RV under my C3S at 35 feet.
A 1/4 wave vertical was used on 40M.

Jim

10-Oct-2002 Pete Smith
* 05-Oct-2002 Jim Brannigan