Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4S question
Author: N6EU <N6EU@socal.rr.com>
Date: 05-Oct-2002 23:33:12

I have been following this reflector for about a month now. This is my
first post.

Just finnished assembling a C4S (C3S with 40M dipole) and here is a few of
my thougths and findings on this antenna. At first I was put off by the
riveting thing. Now I see the value and simplicity of construction and the
ability to correct mistakes or make tunning adjustment.

I have the antenna for testing purposed up on two 8 FT fiber glass step
ladders. I am a RTTY contester so I have interest in the low end of
10/15/20M. No problem with 20 or 15M. On 10M even moving the tips last
mounting hole still way high in band at 28,550 or so.
As a test stuck a short lenght of copper tubbing in the ends with about 3
inches exposed. That brought it down right where I want it at 28,060.

The EF-140 40M dipole resonates way low (at this test elevation) but moving
the shorting bars out to 26 inches brought it down to 7060 Khz. Any body
want to guess how much it will change as it goes up to 55 ft?

Last but not least. Some one point me to an explanation of how the driven
element system works on this antenna. It is very slick but escapes me how
the 20M driven element parsitically drives the other two bands and exhibits
a match on the those bands. I know I am missing something here and would
just like a better understanding of how this antenna works.

The antenna was easy to put together, rugged design and I amlooking forward
to getting it on the air to give me SO2R capability in the near future.

Russell
N6EU

* 05-Oct-2002 N6EU
This Author (Oct-2002)