Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40 Meter Dipoles and DXing
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 06-Oct-2002 12:45:52
Jack, Hank and all,

Read Hank's posting and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. My experience
on 80 and 40 meters agrees 100% with Hank's observations. Living in the
PNW, I am blessed with any number of really tall Douglas Fir antenna masts
for my antenna projects. Over the last few years, I have been conducting on
the air A vs. B comparisons of horizontal dipoles and some inverted V's in
various orientations on both bands for DX. My observations are that a
horizontal dipole does show a definite null off the end of the wire, and
that the inverted V shows relatively little but not "no" directivity.

I have come to the same conclusion, "higher is better" for DX, and that
a high wire in the tops of a trees is more effective than a rotatable dipole
on a less high tower. A single good and high inverted V is a match for DX
compared to a rotatable dipole at typical tower heights, e.g. 60', on the
low bands. The only exception could be if the tower installation is better
sited and away from buildings or power lines. In that case, other near
field factors could come into play and tip the balance in favor of the tower
mounted rotated dipole. Some reduction in local noise pickup on reception is
possible with a rotatable dipole. Rotatable dipoles on a typical single
tower installation adds the possibility of interference with the other
antennas, especially a 15 meter yagi, and does add additional wind load and
a measurable reduction in the safety of the entire installation.

Rotatable dipoles do have the advantage of "bragging rights" and are
impressive to look at.

Best regards,

John Petrich, W7FU