Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: 40 Meter Dipoles and DXing
Author: Steven Rutledge <STRutledge@oii.net>
Date: 06-Oct-2002 13:34:34
I was running an inverted vee on 30 meters at the top of my 65' tower.
I thought it did a great job.....until I put up a rotatable 30 meter
dipole about 15' above it. The difference was incredible. I don't know
whether rotating the antenna reduced noise or increased the signal but
it made a hell of a difference. I have never used a 40 meter rotatable
dipole. My 30 rotating dipole was NOT a F12. I should point out that
there is a F12 C3E on the same stack though. :))))))

Steve, N4JQQ

John Petrich wrote:

> Jack, Hank and all,
>
> Read Hank's posting and wanted to add my 2 cents worth. My experience
> on 80 and 40 meters agrees 100% with Hank's observations. Living in the
> PNW, I am blessed with any number of really tall Douglas Fir antenna masts
> for my antenna projects. Over the last few years, I have been conducting on
> the air A vs. B comparisons of horizontal dipoles and some inverted V's in
> various orientations on both bands for DX. My observations are that a
> horizontal dipole does show a definite null off the end of the wire, and
> that the inverted V shows relatively little but not "no" directivity.
>
> I have come to the same conclusion, "higher is better" for DX, and that
> a high wire in the tops of a trees is more effective than a rotatable dipole
> on a less high tower. A single good and high inverted V is a match for DX
> compared to a rotatable dipole at typical tower heights, e.g. 60', on the
> low bands. The only exception could be if the tower installation is better
> sited and away from buildings or power lines. In that case, other near
> field factors could come into play and tip the balance in favor of the tower
> mounted rotated dipole. Some reduction in local noise pickup on reception is
> possible with a rotatable dipole. Rotatable dipoles on a typical single
> tower installation adds the possibility of interference with the other
> antennas, especially a 15 meter yagi, and does add additional wind load and
> a measurable reduction in the safety of the entire installation.
>
> Rotatable dipoles do have the advantage of "bragging rights" and are
> impressive to look at.
>
> Best regards,
>
> John Petrich, W7FU

06-Oct-2002 John Petrich
* 06-Oct-2002 Steven Rutledge
06-Oct-2002 John Petrich
06-Oct-2002 Hank Phillips
This Author (Oct-2002)
  Subject   Date
* 40 Meter Dipoles and DXing 06-Oct-2002