Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4SXL vs C4S
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 10-Oct-2002 09:44:46
At 12:11 AM 10/2/02 -0500, Jack Wilson wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am in bit of a quandary here. I am torn between ordering the C4SXL and the
>C4S. I will have it on a 50' self supporting tower using a hygain ham IV
>rotor to turn it. I guess what I am wondering is if anyone on this list has
>had a C4S and then "upgraded" to the C4SXL. How much difference did it make
>on 40? Is the extra "gain" on 40 worth the extra $$$???

I "almost did this." I had a C-4 and almost upgraded to a C-4XL, but N6BT
convinced me to go with the equivalent separate yagi instead, because he
was concerned about torque reaction from the long boom against my Rohn 25
tower. So I built an EF-240S from the original C-4 dipole, another one
from the C-4XL kit, and an EF-240S boom, while sending back the boom
extension that came with the C-4XL kit. One of the neat things about Force
12 antenna designs is that they permit this sort of mix and match.

Anyway, there's no question that the 2-element antenna is better. In my
case it's less a question of forward gain than of hearing better because of
reduced all-azimuth noise. With the 40-meter antenna at 104 feet, to get
the full directivity I had to replace my upper guys with Phillystran,
because even angled away from the antenna at 45 degrees and at least a
quarter-wavelength away, my original grounded wire guys had an influence on
directivity (and maybe gain). At 50 feet the directivitiy of either the
single or two-element antennas will be somewhat impaired.

So I'd take a hard look at my tower and rotator, and make the decision more
on mechanical factors and cost than on electrical considerations.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower

10-Oct-2002 Francisco Costa
* 10-Oct-2002 Pete Smith