Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4C 40 Meter Dipole
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 10-Oct-2002 14:44:49
At 09:54 AM 10/5/02 -0700, hafner jack wrote:
>... My ham friends who work 40 meter DX tell me
>that a dipole located less than a half-wavelength
>above the ground will have no direction capability and
>because of its high angle of radiation, I am told that
>this dipole may only be a local antenna.
>
>Others who have used a 40-meter dipole tell me that it
>is quieter and has ground reflection gain not seen by
>a vertical.

It will be less directive, and will have a generally higher radiation angle
than a higher antenna, but "no" directivity and "only a local antenna" are
simply wrong. The ground reflection gain is maximum at a higher angle than
if the antenna were higher, but a little modeling will show that a
relatively low dipole will outperform a ground mounted vertical at much
lower take-off angles than usually believed.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower

* 10-Oct-2002 Pete Smith
05-Oct-2002 Jim Brannigan