Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Verticals
Author: Jason Hissong <jhisson1@columbus.rr.com>
Date: 12-Oct-2002 23:19:15
Hi guys,

I have been contemplating putting up a tower. However, the trouble with
getting the permit, cost, XYL, property value concerns, etc are taking its
toll. I am looking for alternatives. My original intent was to install a
40' Trylon Tower with a C3S on top. However, I am willing to take a
vertical for a spin. My previous experience with a vertical was with the
GAP Eagle DX. Boy that was a miserable time. Of course, operator error may
have caused that problem (a bad soldering job at the coax connector which
was my fault). Anyways, with the money it would take to install the tower,
I could have the Sigma 5 bander AND the 40 meter version. I already have a
place that I can put the 40 Meter version (from when I had the GAP). I
could do the 5 gallon bucket thing for the 5 bander. With the extra cash
left over, I could get a K2 AND a K1!! (plus a new rig for the car...)

My question is directed to those who have the F12 verticals and your
experience with them. I know it would be difficult to compare a C3S and a
vertical. But what would I be missing? Is it worth 3000.00 to go with a
beam?

Also, my site would dictate that the vertical would be about 8 feet from a
tree and about 30 feet from my house (with aluminum siding). It would also
be about 8 feet from a fence. Am I asking for trouble? I would have to
install the vertical about 8 feet off of the ground. I am also installing a
WindowHSQ in the trees as well.

Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks for the time!!

Jason Hissong
N8XE

P.S. The coax connector problem was that there was not a good solder joint
between the shield of the coax going into the GAP Eagle and the shield of
the coax going into the shack. I found out about this later when I sold the
GAP to another ham and the coax connector fell off when he was unscrewing
the coax. The shield in the coax of the antenna was black. He resoldered
the connection and then installed the antenna and he loves to tell me how
well it is working :) His site is worst than mine as his antenna is in
between two houses with aluminum siding!!! HIHI...

13-Oct-2002 Steven Rutledge
13-Oct-2002 Richard Thorne
13-Oct-2002 Dave LaBat
13-Oct-2002 Eddy Avila