Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Verticals
Author: WA9ALS - John <wa9als@starband.net>
Date: 13-Oct-2002 08:02:29
There's no comparison, except as relates to your budget. The tower and beam
is a huge investment - time AND money. If you have it, it's worth doing.
But you shouldn't sell a child or risk divorce to do it! HI I have both a
vertical and a C31XR on a tower. Cost a lot, took a lot of time - LOTS OF
FUN! (Both the project and actually using it) I find myself using the
vertical when I'm pretty sure it will be adequate - certain skeds, "quick,
jump-on operating etc. Also convenient for all bands - just tune around and
hit the transmit, whereas yagi only triband for me.

Once in awhile I try a pileup a few times with the vertical and lose. After
a few times, I say what the heck, switch to the yagi and BOOM!

The C3 on a 40 ft tower would be a tremendous combination, but the verticals
can be quite effective too. One other little thing to remember is that the
sunspots will NOT be increasing anytime soon.... HI

Try the vertical - If you find yourself wanting later, then maybe someday
you will end up with
John - WA9ALS - VP5RY (2001)

VP5 photos: http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/vp5photos.htm
email: wa9als@starband.net