Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Verticals
Author: Richard Thorne <rthorne@tcac.net>
Date: 13-Oct-2002 10:05:04
Jason:

If you want to enter the contests and be a competitor you need the yagi. If
your chasing dx the beam will still be better, but a properly installed
vertical will bag plenty of dx.

I used to have stacked F12 yagis at my office which used via remote control
with a Kachina 505dsp. That remote turned out to be more work than it was
worth and took the fun out of it. I have since sold about everything I had.

I currently have a Icom 756pro, AH-4 auto tuner and a 20' vertical mounted
my back fence ( I have restrictions here, ie the antenna cannot be above the
roof line). The vertical is 5' off the ground and has two 60' radials. I
cannot believe how well this 100 watt system works. I'm working plenty of
dx (and yes I have to wait my turn sometimes) and am having a blast. Its
put the word fun back into ham radio for me.

So to summarize:

If your a contester go with the beam

If your a serious dx'er and don't like to wait for either the dx to hear you
or propagation to be just right for you to hear them on a vertical or your
windom go with the beam.

If you have restrictions and want to keep peace with the neighbors and XYL
go with your vertical/windom combination. At least you'll have a choice
between vertical and horizontal polorization.