Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 Verticals
Author: Steven Rutledge <STRutledge@oii.net>
Date: 13-Oct-2002 10:37:29
I have to agree with Eddy. My first antenna was a Cushcraft R-4. This
had 10/12/15/20 meters. Later got a kit for 17. I worked over 100
countries on it from the Detroit area and then just got tired of never
getting through the pile-ups. A fellow that lived near me had a
tri-bander on a bracketed Rohn 25 at 35' and he was on the Honor Roll.
I could see that wasn't going to happen with the R-4. So, I put up a
45' bracketed Rohn 25 tower with a Hy-Gain TH5MKII. My FIRST contact
was South Shetlands. He was barely readable. Need I say more???????

However, if you do plan to chase DX with the vertical, get a big
amp!!!!!

Steve, N4JQQ

BTW, running a F12 C3E here now at 65' and it is a GREAT antenna.
Thinking about the XR-5 if I ever inherit any money. :))))))))

Eddy Avila wrote:

> Jason, I said the hell with permits (no CC&R's) the xyl (just get over it!)
> and the neighbors (kiss my....) and put a root-mounted tower on the house
> with the longest mast I dare use and the Force 12 C3e and it beats the
> verticals and dipoles hands down!!!! There just is no substitute for an
> efficient yagi for dx work. Cost for everything new was just over $1000. The
> roof-mounted tower is a compromise but it definitely works very well. I do
> intend putting up a real tower in the backyard some day.....
>
> By-the-way, I've been trying a ground-mounted vertical for 80/40 with mixed
> results.
>
> Good luck and 73.../k6sdw
>
> >From: "Jason Hissong" <jhisson1@columbus.rr.com>
> >To: <Force12Talk@qth.com>
> >Subject: [Force 12 Talk] F12 Verticals Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 00:19:15
> >-0400
> >
> >Hi guys,
> >
> >I have been contemplating putting up a tower. However, the trouble with
> >getting the permit, cost, XYL, property value concerns, etc are taking its
> >toll. I am looking for alternatives. My original intent was to install a
> >40' Trylon Tower with a C3S on top. However, I am willing to take a
> >vertical for a spin. My previous experience with a vertical was with the
> >GAP Eagle DX. Boy that was a miserable time. Of course, operator error
> >may
> >have caused that problem (a bad soldering job at the coax connector which
> >was my fault). Anyways, with the money it would take to install the tower,
> >I could have the Sigma 5 bander AND the 40 meter version. I already have a
> >place that I can put the 40 Meter version (from when I had the GAP). I
> >could do the 5 gallon bucket thing for the 5 bander. With the extra cash
> >left over, I could get a K2 AND a K1!! (plus a new rig for the car...)
> >
> >My question is directed to those who have the F12 verticals and your
> >experience with them. I know it would be difficult to compare a C3S and a
> >vertical. But what would I be missing? Is it worth 3000.00 to go with a
> >beam?
> >
> >Also, my site would dictate that the vertical would be about 8 feet from a
> >tree and about 30 feet from my house (with aluminum siding). It would also
> >be about 8 feet from a fence. Am I asking for trouble? I would have to
> >install the vertical about 8 feet off of the ground. I am also installing
> >WindowHSQ in the trees as well.
> >
> >Sorry for so many questions...
> >
> >Thanks for the time!!
> >
> >Jason Hissong
> >N8XE
> >
> >P.S. The coax connector problem was that there was not a good solder joint
> >between the shield of the coax going into the GAP Eagle and the shield of
> >the coax going into the shack. I found out about this later when I sold
> >the
> >GAP to another ham and the coax connector fell off when he was unscrewing
> [...]

14-Oct-2002 Alan Kaul, W6RCL
14-Oct-2002 Al Williams
* 13-Oct-2002 Steven Rutledge
13-Oct-2002 Richard Thorne