Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Was F12 Verticals
Author: Barry Kirkwood <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
Date: 13-Oct-2002 14:47:41
Some thoughts on masts, towers, verticals and things.

What follows is based on experience in an environment where hurricanes etc
do not occur (altho I have been visited by Cyclone Bola, reading about 140
km/h in a relatively sheltered weather station in Auckland City and would
have been much stronger at my QTH. (Incidentally my C3-S and pipe mast that
I was using came through it without any problem...)

If we are talking about a small beam at 35-40 ft then the loadings are small
and modest suppport structures will do a fine job. Consider yacht masts of
around 35-40ft which have to sustain much higher loads than that gnerated by
even a monster beam.

Mention has already been made of roof mounts.

For a mast: Out here 2in OD thick walled alumin or steel tube in 20ft (6m)
lengths is used in quantity for scaffolding and temporary structures.. I
assume there is similar practice in North America.

The beauty of this stuff is that there is a ready supply of jointers,
flanges and other fittings as stock items, not to mention more fittings
available for 2in OD used for making supports for chain link fences,
handrails and the like. Means that all manner of things can be done without
welding.

We are talking guyed structures here. The long and short of it is that if
you put together two twenty foot lengths and put a light beam on top of it
the whole caboodle can be wrestled into a vertical position by a few good
keen men (or women), the guys tied off and you are in business. Can still be
done if you put a light rotator on the top, but better to put the rotator on
a length of strong rot proofed plank at ground level and lift the whole
works into the rotator once the mast is vertical.

Usually needs two sets of guys or top guys and a house bracket lower down.

The mast can rotate if the guys are attached to a flange (you can even get
flanges with four holes in the flat) supported by another flange which is
secured to the mast.

You do not need massive guys. Out here seven strand galvanised wire is
commonly sold as clothes line wire and will do just fine. Even 16g high
tensile fence wire will do well once you learn how to work with it. Electric
fence insulators made from ABS plastic are light, cheap and strong. Need
them to break up metallic guys. Of late I have become a bit paranoid about
the potential of guys to distort beam patterns and would probably go
synthetic rope for the upper guys.Probably just for peace of mind. Make sure
the rope type used does not deteriorate from UV , tho.
of turnbuckles at the bottom of the guys. Cheaper, easier to use and more
reliable than turnbuckles if you replace them every year or three.

On verticals: unless you are at the seaside, ground mounted verticals are
really pushing it up hill on the higher bands and strongly advise getting
the vertical up above power wires, house wiring etc to make them play. ie
roof mount the vertical.
On the other hand once the vertical is roof mounted the top of it is at the
height at which a simple all band inverted vee dipole would likely perform
better.....and cheaper.

My 02 c NZ worth (= 008c US)

73
Barry

PS My take on this is that typical small amateur towers are seriously
overdesigned and overweight. For the inevitable blathering about PE reports
etc : If the mast and beam are made light, one would need to be dead unlucky
if it did major damage even if it did fall over.

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay
66 Cory Road