Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Force 12 Verticals
Author: Bill Roberts <radiok8dxx@comcast.net>
Date: 13-Oct-2002 17:24:23
I read with interest all the chatter about verticals VS Force-12 beams, roof
towers and couldn't resist adding my two cents.

We live in an area with a "12 feet above the roof line" ordinance.
Unfortunately, our city is pretty 'vigilant' about their ordinances so I
couldn't just say 'to h... with it.' I have used roof towers for many years
and find them a great compromise and certainly much more economical.

We have a two story house; the two story part being about 35 feet long. I
did try a roof mounted Butternut. It worked OK but was quite noisy. Maybe
it was picking up noise from the house. Anyway, about 8 years ago, I
replaced the vertical with a HyGain TH3MK4 tribander mounted on a Glen
Martin 4.5 foot tower. It worked very well for several years. More
recently, I reinforced the other end of the roof and put up a Glen Martin 9
ft, 18.5 sq ft capacity tower with a Force-12 C4EXL. That was a blast to
get up on the roof! Anyway... it beats the TH3 to pieces. Even on 20
where it only has 2 active elements, it busts pileups easily running 100
watts. BTW... I left the smaller 'quad pod' up there and mounted a CC 5
element 6 meter beam and CC 10X10 2 meter beam on it. Again, would be nice
to be higher but still works better than expected, particularly on 2 meter
SSB.

I'd strongly recommend the Glen Martin towers. The finish on the 8 year old
tower is as good as that on the 1 year old tower. Also, assembling F-12
products is fun. The directions are very good. Natan is also a great
resource!

Back to verticals... I have had very good results with the GAP Voyager IV.
I know its low Q and all but it just gets out. Its also very quiet. Also
handles the 1.2 KW from my AL572 amp. Now... its a lot more bother than
the F-12 40 meter vertical (GAP must be guyed) and probably won't last as
long. Still, it gets me on 160 (just OK), 80 and 40 (gangbusters) from a
suburban lot. I would very much like to try the Sigma 40. Maybe some other
time!

Good luck.

73 de Bill Roberts/K8DXX

* 13-Oct-2002 Bill Roberts