Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: PS Was Force 12 Verticals
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 14-Oct-2002 06:57:44
At 04:51 PM 10/14/02 +1300, you wrote:
>Value engineering can be a useful approach to decisions about developing
>an hf
>amateur radio station.
>
>The classic reference is ?Rockwell "Station Design for DX. ca 1960. ARRL
>should stir
>itself and commission and up to date version.
>Another source I found useful was a series on HF DX by the RSGB around
>1995 where
>they surveyed leading UK DX operators.
>Rockwell took the approach of looking at DX dB per dollar.
>
>In the matter of antennas for 14-30 mHz the finding was that around 40-45
>feet gave the
>best cost vs benefit. Below this radiation angles are too high, above this
>costs escalate.
>Antenna mdelling programs will show the truth of this.

Hi Barry -- I totally agree with your basic point, but as a side-effect,
you got me thinking again about the Rockwell articles.

Following are some thoughts I jotted down, thinking to post them to the
reflector, and then thought maybe I'd just send them to you offline,
because they are so incomplete. I'd welcome a discussion on this topic,
because I continue to dabble in the cost-effectivness problem.

---------------------

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this issue over the last 10 years
or so, because I, too, always thought that an update would be worth doing
(the Rockwell/W3AFM articles were in QST for September through December,
1966).

I finally concluded that it's such a big job to do right that it may not be
doable today. Even so, I would encourage people to reread the series
today, though I'd stop short of a wholesale adoption of its
conclusions. It is fascinating in the light of today's amateur radio, not
because the concept of cost-benefit-analysis is outdated, but because our
basic understanding of the factors that affect amateur radio systems design
has advanced so much. For example, in those days we believed that when it
came to take-off angles, lower was always better. Today we have access to
tables giving (for many locations) the statistical distribution of arrival
angles for signals from different target areas over an entire sunspot cycle.

To me, the biggest conceptual contribution Rockwell made was the notion
that ALL the main variables in your station are inter-related. Depending
on where your existing station stands on the cost-per-dB curves for those
variables, the cost-effective choice of where to "find" the next dB can be
totally different. For example, if you are running barefoot, then the dB
gained by investing in a used KW amplifier come awfully cheap. Once you've
done that, if you're running a simple wire antenna or a vertical, the
antenna is the next logical target. It's often argued that antenna dB
should count twice, but that's another long debate all by itself. You can
also get into complex trade-offs, like deciding whether you really need
more transmitting gain (on the low bands, for example), or whether a cheap
receiving antenna will make the most difference.

It all comes down, ultimately, to balance. When you are operating a KW
into dipoles, a low triband yagi is tremendously cost-effective. When
you're an "alligator" on 160, a K9AY loop may be the best (and cheapest)
thing you can do for better results on that band.

Pre-decision analysis makes a lot of sense, but it isn't easy. Aside from
the old wives' tales and marketing snake-oil that circulate in the amateur
community, confusing the decision process, there's not a lot of
appreciation of the usefulness of these analytical techniques. It's also a
fact of life, at least in the United States, that external factors like
local government regulation and the neighborhood impact of RFI can
overwhelm the most thoughtful analysis of technical requirements for better
station performance.

When it comes to antennas, in particular, we may be nearing the point
where, for many of us, "put it up and see if it works" may be prohibitively
expensive (engineering and permit fees, perhaps litigation). At least,
you'd like to have to go through that cycle as few times as possible.

Just a few thoughts, Barry, and woefully incomplete.

73, Pete N4ZR

14-Oct-2002 Allan Henry Kaplan
14-Oct-2002 D C Macdonald
14-Oct-2002 Joe Mitchell