Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 40 installation
Author: John Petrich <petrich@u.washington.edu>
Date: 20-Oct-2002 08:17:12
Steve,

YES. A good question and a good approach. I did the same thing with my
Sigma 80 and am glad that I did. Found a place with less receive noise and
possibly better transmit performance and all with less visual impact. I
used a reference antenna, an 80 meter dipole, and was able to compare the
Sigma 80's performance and interference potential when I moved my Sigma 80
around on the lot. Having a reference antenna made the tests more reliable
for me because I had a fixed standard to compare to. Each movement of the
Sigma 80 took a week or so of operating to detect any small differences in
performance and only a few minutes for large differences in performance,
e.g. RFI. The temporary base that I used for my Sigma 80 experiments, a
much larger and heavier antenna than the Sigma 40, was a piece of 1 1/2"
water pipe that I drove into the ground and set the Sigma 80 on. Used
temporary guy lines to stabilize the whole antenna, and away I went. Pay
particular attention to making sure that the Sigma 40 feedline runs
perpendicular, away from the antenna, for at least 6 feet if not more, to
minimized detuning of the Sigma 40.

I hope that you can get your Sigma 40 properly installed and tuned. You
should be very happy with this type of vertical antenna. I am very happy
with my Sigma 80 for over 1 year now.

Best regards,

John Petrich, W7FU