Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR vs. TIC Ring
Author: WD4K <wd4k_1@bellsouth.net>
Date: 20-Oct-2002 12:17:56
I sent a private mail to Pat on this but I have other experiences on this
subject. The statement that C31's will not turn on Rohn 45 is not accurate.
I have Rohn 55 with three C31's, one on a Tic @ 35'--full 360 rotation and
one on a homebrew sidemount @ 75', boom stretched 1, swings Eu to JA, and
the other about 115' mast mounted. No problems. When I get around to
elevating my top Philly guys, I may put another Tic at 75' to allow the
360--however the Eu Ja swing is 99% of my needs for it so I am happy with it
as is for now.

Also, I do not use the truss on the Tic by choice. I have the kit and opted
not to use it. Tom (N6BT) told me several years ago that the 31 was designed
for no truss and it was not needed, only used by the choice of the owner.
They build in the truss for those that feel better about using one. However
I did use the truss on the other two. No real reason, it was there and easy
so why not. My antennas are up and running--the theory of them not working
is proven incorrect.

As another note, I had two C31's on Rohn 25 for several years, one on a
unique, industrial strength :), homebrew sidemount with about 300 degrees of
rotation. Never a hint of a problem.
I just redesigned and rebuilt my old Rohn 25 style mount, modified it for
Rohn 55. I have an inch of clearance between the element and the tower
before the boom itself inhibits further rotation. It works. My suggestion
is to forget all of the drawings, graphs and theories why it won't work.
They are obviously wrong. 73 to all, Tommy WD4K

Hey JOE!! are you listening?? I'll buy all your C31's if you still want to
sell. BUT, I suggest that you not sell them----unless to me :)!! T