Index Thread Archive Oct-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Oct-2002Index by Author for Oct-2002Index by Date for Oct-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C31XR vs Tic Ring Redux
Author: Pat Thurman, K7KR <thurman@primenet.com>
Date: 20-Oct-2002 23:01:32
Wow. What a nice response. Thanks to everyone that responded. I tried
to respond to each, but if I missed anyone, please accept my apologies.

Thanks to Steve K7LXC, Tommy WD4K, John WA9ALS, Doc ON4IZ, Tony N2TK,
Pete N4ZR and Charlie W0YG for your responses.

In summary, most of the responses recommended to live with the offset
from center for the location of the truss support. This is the way I
decided to go and today, I installed the truss support at the point
between element #9 and #10 which was a distance of about 40" forward of
CG. Back part of boom is level and there is a slight droop to the
front, but I don't think it will matter too much.

Looks like Tommy WD4K has quite a bit of experience with the C31's and
Tic Rings, and he mentioned that Tom said the antenna was really
designed for use w/o the truss and that it was just there for those that
wished to use one. That's good info, and gives me an extra measure of
comfort since I decided to install mine slightly offset.

Also, Doc ON4IZ mentioned some problems with his Tic Ring. I've
experienced some of the same things, but I would like to mention that
Carl has been a prince to work with and has really gone the extra mile
to try to make mine play well.

Thanks again to everyone!!

--
73, Pat K7KR