Index Thread Archive Nov-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Nov-2002Index by Author for Nov-2002Index by Date for Nov-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Warning...the greeting card
Author: Hsu, Aaron <aaron.hsu@unistudios.com>
Date: 08-Nov-2002 12:42:11
The "Friends-Greeting" is a known worm. According to what I've read, if you download the "required" viewer program and install it, the installer would drop a bunch of spyware apps on your PC and then send everyone on our Outlook contact list an identical email to get a "Friend-Greeting" from you.

In short, it's SPAM - worse, a WORM. Ignore it and delete it. The really bad part is that AV companies at first refused to add this to their list of WORMs because the download required a click to agree to a license and the license clearly stated that the installer would e-mail everyone in the Outlook contact list - in other words, you agreed to do it. After much pressure from critics, McAfee and Symantec finally decided to add it to their lists.

There's more info about it on the net. Remember to practice Safe Computing...install an AV program and keep the signatures up-to-date!

- Aaron Hsu, NN6O (ex-KD6DAE)
{nn6o}@arrl.net
{athsu}@unistudios.com
No-QRO Int'l #1,000,006

* 08-Nov-2002 Hsu, Aaron
This Author (Nov-2002)
  Subject   Date
* Warning...the greeting card 08-Nov-2002