Index Thread Archive Dec-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Dec-2002Index by Author for Dec-2002Index by Date for Dec-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Phasing 2 Sigma 40XK
Author: Doug & Judy Stracener <ka5ysy@eatel.net>
Date: 16-Dec-2002 05:29:24
Rich Holoch wrote:

>I've read a bunch about "Team Vertical", and want to try to phase 2 of
>Force-12's 40XK's. I would space 2 of them set to 40 meters 1/4 wl apart and
>feed each with coax. These 2 lines would come into the shack and I woould
>use my Ten Tec 238B L network tuner as a switch - to switch each in as
>either the driven or parasitic element.
>
>I'm on the side of a hill so I need to elevate the lower vertical so that it
>is in the same ground plane as the upper one (right?). On one of the
>descriptions of Team Verticals web pages, i saw the use of elevated radials
>mentioned - using 2 radials. Where do you attachthem - to the lower bottom
>of the vertical dipole, or do you just create a ground screen off the
>support pole driven into the ground?
>
>I want to pint these guys 60 / 240 degrees since these are the areas I need
>to concentrate on to complete DXCC honors. I would love to replace what I
>have now (MA5B minibeam for 20 - 10 and Windom 40 and 30) with these 2
>phased verticals.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Rich
>KY6R

Hi Rich:

Get a copy of the book "All About Vertical Antennas" by William Orr and
Stuart Cowan (Radio Publications, Inc, 925 Sherwood Drive box 247, Lake
Bluff, IL) available at most hamfests and radio stores.
Chapter 6 is all about phased arrays of verticals, and the great thing
is that you can do a cheapie phasing setup with only coax and so "T"
connectors to get started. There is also a schematic for a relay box
for switching the pattern if you want to automate.

If you are really in a hurry to automate check out this site for a
commercially made phasing setup:
http://www.comteksystems.com/

click on the ACB-4 link and check it out. It is a 360 degree phasing
setup! be sure to look at the customer photos of some nice array designs.

Have fun !

Doug, KA5YSY

16-Dec-2002 James W. Fisher, Jr.
* 16-Dec-2002 Doug & Judy Stracener