Index Thread Archive Dec-2002 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Dec-2002Index by Author for Dec-2002Index by Date for Dec-2002   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 40XK on 40 and 30M
Author: Kenny K2KW <K2KW@prodigy.net>
Date: 19-Dec-2002 20:49:30
>It does
>tune up on 30M, but I noticed that performance is
maybe the same as the 88'
>doublet.

If you are using an antenna tuner into the antenna,
then I would expect it to be somewhat deaf on 30m.
The antenna is fairly high Q, making it narrow
bandwidth. A narrow bandwidth antenna will not hear
well on other bands. To be effective on any
particular band, you need to tune the antenna itself
(via the coils or T-bars) to that band and not use a
tuner at the shack.

>I will only be using this antenna for 40 and 30M, so
I am wondering if I can
>put the 40 and 30 meter coils on - in series.

No, you cannot put the coils on in series! They are
band specific, and only one set can be used at a
time. If you put the 2 coils in series, the antenna
would then be resonant on some low frequency around 5-
6 MHz or who knows where...

The antenna is designed to be a single band antenna
that can be easily changed by hand to any particular
band. The concept was to bring a highly efficient
vertical to market at a reasonable price. If it was
auto switching (like the Sigma 5), the cost would be
considerably more.

>If this doesn't work - what might (some kind of
tapped coil
>arrangement)?

If you use the 40m coil and tap it, you should be able
to resonate it on 30m by changing the taps (assuming
the production version is using bare wire/tubing).
But if you are going outside to change the taps, why
not just change the coil? Get a hollow shaft hex
wrench and it's a simple job.

Kenny K2KW
Leader, Team Vertical
www.k2kw.com