Index Thread Archive Feb-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Feb-2003Index by Author for Feb-2003Index by Date for Feb-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: sigma-80
Author: Kim Elmore <Kim.Elmore@noaa.gov>
Date: 03-Feb-2003 10:42:11
Hi Frank,

I've just finished installing a Sigma 80 and everything went by the
book. It is an exceptionally well-made antenna and tuning was a cinch. I
easily got a perfect match. Resonance is set for about 3520 kHz and the
match is acceptable up to about 3560 or so. Since it is a physically short
antenna, there is a tradeoff in bandwidth. I didn't use the shroud they
provided; to do so with the one I got would require an extra slot be cut in
the shroud to accommodate the balun support rod. If you stretch the coils
out as Force12 recommends in their manual, it will be tuned for the
high-end of the phone band. Both of my coils together wound up being only
about 44" in length, about 10-12" shorter than Force 12 recommends for set-up.

I have a half-sloper that I've been using on 80 m. Receive tests indicate
that very close-in signals are down by about 10 dB, from S9+20 dB down to
S9+10 dB on the Sigma 80 vs my half-sloper. Most other receive signals
sound about the same between the two antennas.

My first QSO was with 5R8FU during his dawn. My experience on the low
bands is admittedly limited, but this is a nearly E-W path and, based on
the reading I've done, sounded like a classic gray-line opening. I
happened to be on his frequency when his CQ quickly appeared out of the
noise and rose to an honest 579 RST. I tried once with 100 W, as did
someone with an N1 call, but he heard neither of us. I then switched on
the amp and got him on the first call, getting a 579 from him. Shortly
afterwards, he faded back into the noise, and was gone. Using the Sigma 80
isn't like having a 3 element yagi up a couple of hundred feet, and I'm
sure that the rx signals will still be characteristically crummy on 80 m
compared to the higher bands, but this will be as good as it gets for me
for awhile.

Noise pickup is not significantly different between the two antennas. I
live in a very quiet location, so my night-time noise levels right now run
about S3-S5. In the day, the noise level is low enough that it doesn't
move the S meter.

I'd hoped to be able to load the antenna up on 160 m using my tuner, but
had no luck. The Sigma 80 uses a hairpin match, and I'll bet that the
hairpin coil helps generate a very low impedance at 160 m, preventing me
from getting a match. All is not lost, however, because I turned up a pair
of 80 m traps I'd made long ago for a trapped dipole for 40, 80 and 160
m. I'll add one to my half-sloper, along with some wire, and see if I can
get a match on 160 m. While I can tune the half-sloper for 160 m, I go
through a remote antenna switch to this antenna, and the antenna switch
won't tolerate much power with a big mismatch. I did that once with
disastrous results.

See you in the pile-ups!

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP

At 04:55 PM 1/29/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi
>I have been thinking about purchasing a sigma-80 and I would like any
>comments good or bad about this antenna. I live on Long island and wonder if
>there is a local ham that has one. If not would appreciate any info.
>Frank K2PWG

Kim Elmore, Ph.D.
University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
"All of weather is divided into three parts: Yes, No, and Maybe. The
greatest of these is Maybe" The original Latin appears to be garbled.

* 03-Feb-2003 Kim Elmore
This Author (Feb-2003)
  Subject   Date
* sigma-80 03-Feb-2003