Index Thread Archive Mar-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2003Index by Author for Mar-2003Index by Date for Mar-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 coax supports
Author: Doug & Judy Stracener <ka5ysy@eatel.net>
Date: 02-Mar-2003 19:47:24
Roger: I wound a coax choke on some 4"pvc schedule 40 pipe, ended up
with about 18 turns of coax in it, and is about 15 ft from the antenna
on one of the supports. The rf field mine Sigma 5 generates with 500
watts from the TenTec Hercules II necessitated the choke setup for
feedline and control lines. There was still RF on the lines without the
chokes. I use 5 "shepards crook" pot hangers that work well for the
feedline support. They are made of green plastic imbedded fiberglass and
are sold in most garden supply stores. They also come as straight poles
of various thickness diameters. Now all is right with the world, and
the antenna nazis from the neighborhood ugly committee dont see it at all.

Doug, KA5YSY

Roger Cameron wrote:

>Used my new Sigma GT-5 for the first time last weekend during the FYBO
>contest. Had it setup out on a frozen lake in northern Michigan and operated
>out of a portable ice fishing shanty...used an FT-100D at five watts and
>worked stations from Alberta to Florida, California to Maryland, and got
>very good signal reports. What a great portable antenna!
>
>I fabricated stands for the feedline out of three pairs of eight foot 1 x 2
>fir strips, placed about ten feet apart, in order to keep the line as
>perpendicular to the antenna as possible. Wondered what anyone else has done
>to keep the feedline from coupling with the antenna, especially for portable
>use?
>
>Roger, N8KV

* 02-Mar-2003 Doug & Judy Stracener
02-Mar-2003 Roger Cameron