Index Thread Archive Mar-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2003Index by Author for Mar-2003Index by Date for Mar-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Rivet removal?
Author: Earl <n5zm@arrl.net>
Date: 09-Mar-2003 18:35:59
Many thanks for the overwhelming response. To summarize the responses most
agreed that the 1/8th would be fine. Just be careful and check with a test on
one of the center rivets first. A couple of you suggested a No. 31 which is the
size just under 1/8th. I broke down the antenna this afternoon and used a No.
31 and it worked perfect leaving just a paper thin wall of the rivet. Then I
just punched out what was left. The antenna is now at the new QTH and all I
have left to do is get the 4BA down off the other tower and get that tower down.

This combination has worked absolutely fantastic since putting them up in
November of '95. They put me on top of the Honor Roll with ease (no brag just
fact, Hi Hi). By the way there were 'NO' loose rivets or cracked PVC element
insulators. This includes going through the two worst ice storms, in December
of 2000, that we have experienced in this area. There was over 1/2" of ice on
the antennas. The elements dropped under the weight of the ice until I was sure
they would break. Surprisingly the tuning on the 40 Mtr elements didn't even
change.

I am not sure at this time if I will put them back up at the new QTH. I am
getting ready to retire in a couple of years and thinking of downsizing the
antenna farm. Maybe I will change my mind when the effects of several hours on
the tower has had on this 60 year old body becomes just a distant memory, Hi Hi.

Thanks again for all the help.

Earl N5ZM..
----------------

--