Index Thread Archive Mar-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2003Index by Author for Mar-2003Index by Date for Mar-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Stacking C-19XR and EF240S
Author: AndrewRoos <andrew@exinet.co.za>
Date: 10-Mar-2003 07:20:10
Hi Everyone

I have been an amateur for a couple of years but until recently lived in an
appartment block so my antenna possibilities were severely restricted. Now
at last I have moved into my own house, complete with a medium sized garden
(yard). Time to play antennas :)

I enjoy contesting and so would like to put up a "reasonable" antenna system
for 40/20/15/10. I think 40m will be particularly important over the next
few years as the solar index declines. Since budget and space are limited, I
can't have everything I want. However although I will probably end up with
the inexpensive and simple option - a C4S - the other alternative I'm
playing with is to stack a EF240S 2-element 40m dipole above or below a
C19XS tribander, at about 60 ft. Since I'm very new to towers, rotators and
stacked antennas, I would appreciate any input you can give me on the
following questions:

1. Which antenna should be on top? I would think the EF240S since the
wavelength is longer, so height is more critical for it, but I may be
missing something.

2. How far apart (vertically) would the EF240S and C19XR have to be to avoid
problems caused by interactions between them? (Bear in mind that 15m is the
3rd harmonic of 40m, so interactions here may be quite strong).

3. Can I just put both antennas on one pole driven using a single rotator,
or do I need seperate rotators for the two antennas? (I don't intend to use
them simultaneously in different directions!)

4. If I add the "Mast Torque" figures for these antennas I get 360 in-lbs,
which is only 30 ft-lbs. The Yaesu G-800DXA rotator is rated at a "F-factor"
of 1302 ft-lbs so on this basis there should be no problem. However if I do
Yaesu's suggested calculation, which is to multiply turning radius by weight
for each antenna and add them together, I get a total of 1671.8 ft-lbs for
the two antennas together, which exceeds the rating for the G-800DXA (and
it's bigger brother, the G-1000DXA). Which method is right, and can I turn
the proposed stack using the G-800DXA rotator?

5. Do you have any better suggestions (remember my contsrained budget!)

Many thanks for the help,
Andrew ZS1AN

Andrew Roos
Technical Director, ExiNet

Tel: (021) 448-4678
Fax: (021) 448-4620

10-Mar-2003 Allan Henry Kaplan
* 10-Mar-2003 AndrewRoos
This Author (Mar-2003)
  Subject   Date
* Stacking C-19XR and EF240S 10-Mar-2003