Index Thread Archive Mar-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Mar-2003Index by Author for Mar-2003Index by Date for Mar-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Posting problems
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 10-Mar-2003 15:21:04
Periodically, it seems as if we have a rash of new members having trouble
posting, and are being confused by the error message they receive from the
mailing list software.

In brief -- the software does not accept either HTML (or "Styled" text, as
Eudora calls it) or attachments. The reason for bouncing the latter is
simple -- to avoid propagating viruses to a thousand list recipients. The
reason for not accepting HTML is that it can make a simple, short message
2-3 times as long (in bytes), unnecessarily burdening the server.

Unfortunately, all it does when it detects either problem is to bounce the
message back to the sender. When it does this, it sends along an error
message. The trouble is the error message doesn't say "You EITHER sent an
attachment or used HTML." Instead, all it mentions is attachments, and
people immediately write me a note, saying, "But I didn't send an attachment."

So here's the deal -- if you're already a subscriber, and a message you
posted bounced, it is for ONE of these two reasons (or maybe both, if
you've really been bad ;^) ). If you didn't send an attachment, then you
need to change the settings of your e-mail program so that it sends plain
or ASCII text, not HTML.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

* 10-Mar-2003 Pete Smith
This Author (Mar-2003)
  Subject   Date