Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad?
Author: Jim Brannigan <jbrannig@optonline.net>
Date: 07-Apr-2003 16:57:13
I think that you will be so happy with the C4SXL that the R-5 will get
little use. If you must tempt the radiation pattern fates, use the space
for a VHF antenna.

Jim

> With the advent of decent weather I'm working on getting my C4SXL up in
> the air. However, I would also like to have a non-directional antenna
> which would mostly be used for listening (including while I'm
> transmitting). I was thinking of putting an R5 on the garage roof but
> don't like the location as neighbour's power and tel lines would be only
> a few feet away. (I will probably transmit on it from time to time.)
> Then it occurred to me that I could mount it to the chunk of mast
> sticking out above the C4.
>
> The advantages I see are:
> 1. The base of the R5 would be at about 50 ft instead of 15.
> 2. The R5 would be totally in the clear
> 3. The R5 would be in the (perhaps incorrectly assumed) vertical null of
> the C4 and would pick up less energy from the C4 there than anywhere
> else on my small city lot.
> 5. The vertical polarization would also result in less pick up from the
C4.

http://qth.com/force12/list
> For problems with the list: contact n4zr@qth.com

08-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
08-Apr-2003 W0YG Charlie Summers
08-Apr-2003 Pete Smith
08-Apr-2003 Dale L Martin
08-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
07-Apr-2003 Mel Whitten
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
* 07-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
This Author (Apr-2003)
  Subject   Date
R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 08-Apr-2003
* R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 07-Apr-2003
Sigma 5 Height (Cebik article) 25-Apr-2003