Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad?
Author: Dale L Martin <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: 08-Apr-2003 07:52:47

At QRP operating levels, it's more pronounced....If I'm working I/EA/CT's
late in the afternoon, my beam is pointing about 60 degrees. If I want to
have OH/LA/SM hear me calling them, I have to move the beam to 30 degrees.
Really! I thought it was just an odd occurrence, but it happens too often
and regularly to be coincidence.

But, Trey@HC8N hears me off the back/sides/front of my beam...doesn't matter
for him... :-)

73,
dale, kg5u

> Makes sense.
> When I was using a TA-33, I would point the beam at Europe and work the
> Caribbean and SA off the back side of the beam. (East Coast station)
> With the C-3, I have to turn the beam south if I want to work them through
> the pile-ups.
>
> Jim
>

> > Hi, and thanks for the responses.
> >
> > I guess I wasn't very clear as to why I want the vertical.
> >
> > 1. When not at the rig I want to run BeaconSee for hours at a time,
> > plotting the strength of the various NCDXF beacons around the world on
> > the computer monitor and saving periodically for analysis. Can't do
> > this with a beam. Need omni-directionality.
> >
> > 2. While DXing, would like to be able to monitor one DX station on a
> > separate receiver (has he got to the sevens yet?) while chasing other
> ones.
> >
> > 3. The Biggie. While contesting I want to be able to hunt for mults on
> > the 2nd receiver (my old 75A4) while CQing on the MkV. I expect this
> > capability would enable me to increase my scores by a good 20%. (I'm
> > hoping for another 20% from the C4.)
> >
> > 4. When someone weak calls me off the side of the beam he'll probably
> > be a lot louder on the vertical. Work him on the vert and don't waste
> > time swinging the beam.
> >
> > So, you see, I really, really, really do want to have a vertical
> > available. I did once have a mobile whip mounted as described over my
> > present TH3 tribander. It was perfectly possible to listen to sigs on
> > one band while transmitting on another. It would still be there but it
> > didn't work worth a damn as a vertical.
> >
> > So, any advice as to things to watch out for or shareable models
> available?
> >
> > 73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

http://qth.com/force12/list

08-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
08-Apr-2003 W0YG Charlie Summers
08-Apr-2003 Pete Smith
* 08-Apr-2003 Dale L Martin
08-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
07-Apr-2003 Mel Whitten
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
This Author (Apr-2003)
  Subject   Date
* R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 08-Apr-2003