Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad?
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 08-Apr-2003 08:14:34
At 07:56 AM 4/8/03 -0500, Dale L Martin wrote:
>At QRP operating levels, it's more pronounced....If I'm working I/EA/CT's
>late in the afternoon, my beam is pointing about 60 degrees. If I want to
>have OH/LA/SM hear me calling them, I have to move the beam to 30 degrees.
>Really! I thought it was just an odd occurrence, but it happens too often
>and regularly to be coincidence.
>
>But, Trey@HC8N hears me off the back/sides/front of my beam...doesn't matter
>for him... :-)
>
>73,
>dale, kg5u
>

> > Makes sense.
> > When I was using a TA-33, I would point the beam at Europe and work the
> > Caribbean and SA off the back side of the beam. (East Coast station)
> > With the C-3, I have to turn the beam south if I want to work them through
> > the pile-ups.

Typically, if the Caribbean pileup is big, I will start to turn the lower
C-3 toward the station. If the bearing is 145 degrees, usually by the time
I get to 80-90 degrees The QSO is made. The wide beamwidth of the C-3E is
a real advantage!

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 2 April 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

08-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
08-Apr-2003 W0YG Charlie Summers
* 08-Apr-2003 Pete Smith
08-Apr-2003 Dale L Martin
08-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
07-Apr-2003 Mel Whitten
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
This Author (Apr-2003)
  Subject   Date
Help Force 5BA - 15 element 18-Apr-2003
* R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 08-Apr-2003
Sigma 5 Height 24-Apr-2003