Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad?
Author: Guy Olinger, K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: 08-Apr-2003 10:52:29
The coupling is least when the beam is completely horizontal, the vertical is completely vertical, and the axis of the vertical antenna intersects the boom of the horizontal.

In reality, the feedlines will significantly queer the results unless there is a LOT of common mode suppression in place at the feedpoints of BOTH antennas.

30 db cross polarization separation is possible, but unattainable unless alignment is maintained, and NOT defeated by common mode feedline near the antennas or RF ground loops problems in the shack.

If that separation is achieved, the null depth will fluctuate in the wind as flexing moves the cross orientation away from 90 degrees.

In practice both geographical separation AND cross orientation achieve better results with less complexity, to the point that overall separation becomes entirely controlled by factors in the shack.

73, Guy.

> From: "Barry Kirkwood" <bjk@ihug.co.nz>
> Date: 2003/04/07 Mon PM 11:31:02 EDT
> To: "Jim Smith" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, <force12talk@qth.com>
> Subject: Re: [Force 12 Talk] R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad?
>
> Makes sense to me Jim.
> Would not expect much interaction from a vertical element above the beam.
> An approximation would be to model using 1/4 wave vertical monopoles above
> the beam on each band.
> 73
> Barry
>
> end
> Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
> Signal Hill Homestay
> 66 Cory Road
> Palm Beach
> Waiheke Island 1240
> NEW ZEALAND
> ph/fax 64-9-372-5161
> www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm

73, Guy
K2AV

* 08-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
08-Apr-2003 W0YG Charlie Summers
08-Apr-2003 Pete Smith
08-Apr-2003 Dale L Martin
08-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
07-Apr-2003 Mel Whitten
07-Apr-2003 Barry Kirkwood
07-Apr-2003 Jim Brannigan
07-Apr-2003 Jim Smith
This Author (Apr-2003)
  Subject   Date
* R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 08-Apr-2003
Sigma 5 Height 24-Apr-2003
Sigma 5 Height 24-Apr-2003