Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Height
Author: Rich Holoch <rholoch@attbi.com>
Date: 23-Apr-2003 15:55:25
Actually - I use 200W max on 30M, 400 - 500W max on 40 - 10M, but only
after I first try with 100W (I hate turning on the amp as I am an "ex-QRP
only" guy). For Oceania and Asia I try to work the DX using my new Argonaut
5 or Elecraft K1 set at 5W. The S05X, TY5ZR and JY9QJ QSO's were all on 20M
during their gray line at about 400W.

Receive performance is what I am most interested in since I listen most of
the time. I certainly agree - propagation is key - and I have noticed that
since late February there has been more "high angle" noise which severely
affects the MA5B, but doesn't affect the Sigma 5. I can actually hear DX
stations and work them on the Sigma 5 where its just noise on the MA5B. S05X
was the best test - crummy conditions on the West Coast and huge pileups.
My 30M dipole up 35' with a tuner outperformed my MA5B. The Sigma 5 did even
better.

* * * * *

I just re-ran the numbers and it looks like at 6' up, the TO angle for all
bands 20 - 10M on the Sigma 5 is 15 degrees and the gain is almost .5 dbi
higher than with the antenna at 2'. I'll see if i can tell the difference
now that I've just raised it up to 6'.

Rich
KY6R

23-Apr-2003 KEN SILVERMAN