Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Height
Author: Guy Olinger, K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: 24-Apr-2003 11:52:38
One thing you need to consider in this discussion is that the ground
characteristics immediately underneath the antenna, in the near field
and out to a thousand feet, will cause the eventual result to
fluctuate far more than the height.

Also, the modeling programs assume level and homogenous ground, free
of clutter, which almost never occurs. Utility poles, with their
ground wires and cables going down to buried distributions, house
wiring, metal rain gutters, buried power wiring, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

In general, in any direction, a dwelling will effectively nullify any
ground reflection reinforcement. A null due to out-of-phase ground
reflection calculated to hundredths of a db is overwhelmed several
orders of magnitude by the loss of ground reflection going through
clutter.

Tactical decisions on vertical antenna placement should be based on
getting sight to the horizon above clutter, placing the antenna as far
away from clutter as possible.

Has nothing to do with personally being anti-modeling. I own the
expensive commercial programs. I run models on everything I do. In
this case you're worrying about drips when you stand to lose the
bucket.

In the case that you are one of the lucky ones to be operating at a
clutter-less site, you have not even mentioned a dense ground screen
to assist the antenna, or doing anything to get yourself out of the
minus gain column.

73, Guy.