Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Height
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 24-Apr-2003 14:37:11
At 01:00 PM 4/24/03 -0400, Guy Olinger, K2AV wrote:
>Tactical decisions on vertical antenna placement should be based on
>getting sight to the horizon above clutter, placing the antenna as far
>away from clutter as possible.
>
>Has nothing to do with personally being anti-modeling. I own the
>expensive commercial programs. I run models on everything I do. In
>this case you're worrying about drips when you stand to lose the
>bucket.
>
>In the case that you are one of the lucky ones to be operating at a
>clutter-less site, you have not even mentioned a dense ground screen
>to assist the antenna, or doing anything to get yourself out of the
>minus gain column.

Just an anecdote to reinforce this. A VERY famous low-band DXer described
at Dayton a year or two ago his home station where he had both a very
extensive ground screen and four elevated radials on his vertical antenna
(I think for 160). I asked him why the elevated radials, and he said that
he wanted to get the feedpoint above the majority of the nearby clutter,
while retaining the advantage of the ground screen for feed
efficiency. Made sense to me.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 11 April 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

25-Apr-2003 =?iso-8859-1?B?SlRCIFcwWkQgICDUv9Ss?=
25-Apr-2003 Rich Holoch
25-Apr-2003 Tom Ashley
25-Apr-2003 Alan Day
25-Apr-2003 AndrewRoos
24-Apr-2003 Malcolm Ringel
24-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
* 24-Apr-2003 Pete Smith
24-Apr-2003 Mike
24-Apr-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
24-Apr-2003 AndrewRoos
24-Apr-2003 KEN SILVERMAN
24-Apr-2003 AndrewRoos
23-Apr-2003 KEN SILVERMAN
23-Apr-2003 Rich Holoch
23-Apr-2003 Rich Holoch
23-Apr-2003 Rich Holoch
This Author (Apr-2003)
  Subject   Date
Help Force 5BA - 15 element 18-Apr-2003
R5 mounted above C4SXL - good idea or bad? 08-Apr-2003
* Sigma 5 Height 24-Apr-2003