Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Height (Cebik article)
Author: Rich Holoch <rholoch@attbi.com>
Date: 25-Apr-2003 08:49:00
Thanks very much. I've never seen an internet post get so many different
replies that seem to cover every "angle" on a problem that I had been
thinking about. I very much appreciate all the thoughtful replies.

I do know for sure that since late February, due to atmospheric conditions
that on most days and most times, we have had more high angle noise than
before. I have been doing A-B-C comparisons between an MA5B minibeam at 35',
a 30M dipole at 35' and two Force-12 vertical dipoles - the Sigma 40XK and
now the Sigma 5. I've worked very distant dx stations that I couldn't even
hear on the MA5B, or which were so buried in the noise on the dipole that I
couldn't work them. But the Sigma verticals worked like champs - not because
of their gain - but most likely due to their TO angle and their ability to
reject the high angle noise. I could just barely hear and work the dx -
which is good enough for what I want to do. I do accept the fact that a full
sized resonant monoband antenna (located at the perfect "place") would be
best for each band, but that won't happen at my QTH.

So I have learned that having a horizontal and vertical antenna to be able
to switch between for all bands is a really good idea. I also have learned
that having the resonant matching circuit at the feedpoint of a dipole is
always better than (just) using a tuner in the shack. Using a tuner in the
shack with the resonant circuit at the feedpoint works very well albeit with
some (negligable) insertion loss - especially an L tuner. I have read the
ON4UN Low Band DX-er book and many of the online Cebik articles - they are
most excellent resources. Finally, (for my needs and goals) - I have learned
that maximum antenna gain of the antenna is NOT the most important figure to
look at when deciding on an antenna. The same for a receiver - I find that
S/N ratio and adjacent channel rejection are as, if not more important than
gain. I bought an old Ten Tec Omni V that is much quieter than my TS-2000.
The received signals don't sound as "loud" but I've learned that "loud" is
made up of signal and noise and nearby signals that affect what you are
trying to concentrate on.

Needless to say, I have learned after 30 years of being a ham that the stats
that sales brochures present maybe true in the literal sense but many times
practically speaking not very useful. Force-12 really does paint an accurate
picture of what they sell and what the performance is. The same with
Elecraft and Ten Tec - not too snazzy, but pretty down the earth and true.

I will watch and see what happens over the next 2 seasons and see how they
perform given that propagation will change and that the water soaked hills
and pine trees will dry out. Our ground goes from being a soaked hillside
run off area to a dry, cracked earth that actually opens up 1 -2" and goes
for at least a foot deep. Its pretty bizarre. I will let you know if
performance changes - I won't really know until I experience it.

Robert Locher actually mentions a few "theories" proposed by dx-ers in his
"The Complete DX-er" book. He says that a vertical antenna located up a hill
on a shelf of the side of a hill should get some directionality. He said a
hill is better than a ridge since the "null" that would be caused by the
hill would only help null signals from / in that direction. This is exactly
my situation . . . . The hill is composed of clay and sandstone, and like I
said, the water run off keeps the bottom of the driven antenna support pipe
(galvanized) steel wet all winter. The hill is steeper than the take off
angle of the antenna, so it does seem that this theory might be valid in my
case. This is the part where I feel "something" is going on that I can't
measure - but that I will monitor this summer when things dry out to near
desert conditions.

Of course, the one variable I can't control is the propagation and the
sunspot cycle. But I have been monitoring a few sites with data and have
paid very careful attention to what signals can be heard when (especially
the AM and PM gray lines). I keep spreadsheets with numbers and notes, and
while this might sound like greenhorn science, it is a lot of fun to think
about. (I'm a computer programmer not an EE or RF engineer).

That's what does make this seem a little like magic - the fact that there
are a number of variables beyond our control. I like the story about the sap
in the pine trees. We have some Monterrey Pines not far away, and I
understand how soaked they get in the winter and how dried out they get in
summer. I guess I never saw them as a bunch of water pipes, but they sure
are.

73,

Rich
KY6R