Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma 5 Height
Author: Rich Holoch <rholoch@attbi.com>
Date: 25-Apr-2003 11:56:54
Thank you very much - I'm glad to hear that someone else has experienced the
very same thing that I seem to be experiencing.

I just measured the hillside - its a 23 degree incline directly east of the
antenna, and for hundreds of yards. And when I work the longpath to the
Southwest, I seem to be able to work anything that I can hear - and I break
huge pileups about 90 percent of the time. Africa and the Middle East are
difficult from the West Coast going NE, but I have no problems going SW. In
fact, I usually will use my 30M horizontal dipole up 35' (oriented NE - SW)
when there isn't too much high angle noise for short(er) path DX. Using that
dipole on 20M and above I get a pretty nice pattern and TO angle -
especially on 20M. I did sell my Sigma 40XK to a local good friend - and am
trying to do what I want to do with only 2 antennas that are as
inconspicuous as possible. I do seem to have what I want / need. (If that is
ever possible in ham radio).

For short path Oceania and Asia - I consistently can work anything with 5
watts on every band and mode this winter. At 100W I can break huge pileups -
like VP6DIA with only a few calls. I worked AH3D, JD1, ZK3SA and T31MY on
every band / mode they were on with either 5 or 100W. For the Middle East
and anything but South Africa I need the amp - but never go much above 400W.
I do follow the "use only what you need to get the job done" rule of thumb.
I do believe that not only less is more - but its a better challenge.

I don't think I ever stated my goal - which is to get to DXCC Honor Roll
during this cycle. I have 266 entities and pretty much only need entities
that are on the long or short path in the NE - SW direction. After this I
will just settle on using my Argonaut V to work DXCC using only 5 watts -
and these same 2 antennas.

Thanks again - what a great thread!

Rich
KY6R