Index Thread Archive Apr-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Apr-2003Index by Author for Apr-2003Index by Date for Apr-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Sigma Vs
Author: Ed Thierbach <ethierba@umich.edu>
Date: 30-Apr-2003 12:36:06
> 1 If placing the Sigma V 35-50 feet away from any obstruction, how
> does one keep the feed line perpendicular to the feed point for such a
> distance/

You can use a small post to support the feedline and control cable
several feet from the antenna...that won't pose much of an obstruction.

> 2 Do most users switch to RG 8U for longer runs?

For short runs, I've been using RG58 because it's what I had on hand,
and it's done well enough. I'm about to relocate the antenna, though,
and I'll be using RG8U for the buried portion of the run (about 50'),
and RG8X for the above-ground part (25').

> 3 Does using an ant tuner at the rig offer any benefit with the Sigma?

Mostly no, but it depends a bit on your rig. I use my TS-940's
internal tuner on 20M when I get near the 2:1 VSWR point, to make life
easier for my 15-year-old finals. Some radios (like my IC-718) start
folding back power output at 1.5:1 VSWR, so a tuner would help there as
well.

> 4 What methods are being employed to keep the ant out of reach of
> persons who might pass by?

It's going up on the corner of my garage roof, putting the lower
crossbar about 8-9' off the ground.

> 5 Any thoughts as to the preference of using a pipe mount vs a wooden
> post ?

The wooden post would give the attack squirrels something to chew on in
between trespassers. :-)

73,
-Ed-

Ed Thierbach, AB8OJ