Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Intermittency?
Author: Dale L Martin <kg5u@hal-pc.org>
Date: 05-May-2003 20:55:43

During the New England QSO Party, I noticed SWR on my C3E on 15m was about
2.5:1, much higher than usual. SWR was it's normally very low 1.1:1 on 20m.

Since I was operating QRP, I went to tune mode and increased the power to
100 watts. As I did so, the SWR suddenly dropped to a more reasonable
1.2:1.

Unfortunately, it did not 'take'. Back down to QRP level and the SWR was
again 2.5:1 and fluctuating up and down around that.

After the NEQP, I ran a coax jumper from the feedline entry point in the
garage to the FT100 in the car and saw the same intermittency. Increasing
power towards 100 Watts seemed to 'fix' the SWR back to normal levels.

I figure it's an intermittency problem within one of the elements/segments?

I've a used C4 in the garage, so I guess this is the impetus I need to
assemble it, take down the C3E and put up the C4.

My thoughts about the intermitency is that I'm going to have to remove the
rivets, clean the element segment contact surfaces, reapply noalox, and
reassemble. I figure I should start with the 15m director and reflector
elements first, then do the driver. Thoughts?

I've also got the C4 upgrade kit (40m element and mounting kit) that I was
going to put on the C3E. But now, it stays in the box. At least, until I
get the C4 up on top (70').

I've a Cushcraft A3 sidemounted on the tower at 40' and fixed on Northwest
(W6/7/JA). I'm now thinking of taking it down and putting up the C3E
(w/40m element) in it's place, once the intermittency problem is resolved.

Any suggestions or ideas?

73,
dale, kg5u

05-May-2003 Dan