Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: logs logs we got logs
Author: force12e <force12e@lightlink.com>
Date: 06-May-2003 15:25:27

Dear Friends,

Good afternoon to the Force 12 Reflector regarding the gain specifications
of the Tennadyne T-10, our RK-10L and the C-31XR, plus a comment
about the 5BA.

First the 5BA having a "fatal flaw" regarding mechanical issues - I was just
at the Visalia DX Convention last weekend and a fellow came to me right away
Thursday evening (the day before the convention began, as I get there early
in order to set up demos, etc.). He introduced himself and told me that in a
terrible storm last winter, all of his non-Force 12 antennas came down
except his 5BA. The storm set the new 100 year records. There certainly are
exceptions in weather conditions and one who lives in those zones should
make it known at the time of order, regardless of the company they purchase
from. I have tracked wind patterns and storm types for several years and
know how to build antennas to meet any conditions. We build several now for
140 mph and one just shipped was a C-3S/HH. For reference, a stock C-3S for
80 mph (survives usually >100) weighs 26 pounds. The /HH for 140mph weighs
72 pounds. We offer various wind ratings for our products and make
compensation for abnormal conditions such as uplifting winds or
extraordinary velocity.

On to the gain issue: W4RNL's figures are correct and track modeling using
NEC IV. The Force 12 LPDA gain
specs are within a reasonable region. A classic LPDA design (i.e. 7 elements
per octave and matching boom length) will most likely not exceed 3dBd, such
as the Force 12 RK-7L. The RK-10L is a compressed boom length (in the 10-14
MHz range) design for installation reasons (built to a commercial spec) that
covers 10-30 MHz, so the gain range is 2.1-3dBd. The lower gain region is at
the lower end of the frequency coverage range. Populating the boom with more
elements for the same design range improves the gain, as more elements come
into play at any given frequency; however, it will rarely, if ever match a 2
element Yagi for the desired band(s). If the LPDA boom is extended and
heavily populated, it can do more, even reaching a 3 element Yagi design.
Believe LB Cebik's figures; otherwise, prove them wrong!

We can't wait for Ward and Steve to do another test of HF arrays, hopefully
including our XR-5 versus a commercial log. An XR-5 overlaid
multi-monobander has resonate elements for 20 through 10 including WARC on a
single 18' boom and we strongly suspect the 2 el. resonate overlay will
provide more gain than a comparably boomed log. Let the testing begin!

Someone called into question our calculation of the C-31XR gain as being
possibly "totally outrageous", like the Tennadyne T-10 gain figure. Not
hardly. We not only do our own in-house modeling, but we also utilize
outside consultants to be sure the figures are right. If the learned
consultant comes up with lower gain, we use that number. So far, our
numbers have been right on. The reason an outside independent consultant is
used is 2-fold:

a) because one of the reasons for the company being founded was to provide
real gain data, not the fluff that had been given out for way too long;

b) I give talks and seminars all year long and if the figures weren't right,
I would look pretty foolish trying to defend them.

The C-31XR has been run by many people known and unknown and the figures are
correct. Anyone familiar with Yagis will know at a quick glance that the
C-31XR figures are absolutely reasonable. Our LPDA figures are also right
and both LPDAs have been compared real time to 2 ele and 3 ele Yagis over
several months.

LPDAs have their place when broad frequency coverage with low VSWR (i.e.
<2:1) is the primary concern. When we are using bands, which are very narrow
in terms of typical LPDA coverage, LPDAs are easily surpassed by shorter
boom non-trapped multi-monobanders.

The two gain figures in Force 12 literature are included to address two
issues:
a) the Net Gain figure is the one I prefer, as it gives the apples-to-apples
figure for horizontal antennas (not verticals);
b) the gain at 74' is included because of many requests for a figure to
relate to typical modeling data with the horizontal antenna above real
ground. Nothing more than that. This figure can be even calculated, so its
nothing too spectacular.

Just a thought here - has anyone received Tennadyne's model? Any LPDA model
(much less the real thing) that can exceed the gain described in work by
W4RNL should be elevated to high prominence.

73 and maybe we can get some incredible propagation to ZA so the west coast
can get them on 80!

Tom, N6BT

* 06-May-2003 force12e
This Author (May-2003)