Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 dependability
Author: Andrew Williamson <andrew@gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 06-May-2003 17:54:25
In message <E19CqGz-00080J-QF.2003-05-06-01-25-33@imailm1.svr.pol.co.uk>
, WD4K <WD4K2@Charter.net> writes
>As a fair counterpoint to the "legend of the failed rivet" because of a F12
>factory failure...Agreed that my info is anecdotal and exclusively my
>experience but I have numerous friends using many F12 antennas and all have
>the same good experience as I have had. Maybe luck...maybe not.
>I have 47 F12 elements in the air on one tower... some up for the past five
>years. Some have been up and down several times to move QTH's. On each
>opportunity we have hand checked each antenna thoroughly and found
>no/zip/nada...failures of rivets or boom bolts.

The critical words.... boom bolts. The early higher rated F12 antennas
did NOT have boom bolts and these are the ones that have caused trouble.
I've personally seen a 120mph 5BA and 100mph Magnum340 have numerous
failures here (and have the pictures to prove it). Neither had boom
bolts. F12 have not accepted that this was a design flaw, though it's
strange they now use bolts in these failure areas and the problem
appears to have disappeared.

If you want to compare antennas, at the location of the Mag340 which had
numerous failures there are nine other homebrew antennas with a total of
51 elements which have their element mounting plates installed with
exhaust clamps/U-bolts. These have had zero failures and most have been
installed longer than the Mag340.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang