Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 dependability
Author: Steven Rutledge <STRutledge@oii.net>
Date: 06-May-2003 20:10:33
I have a C3E up in the Memphis area. This is the part of the US that
just got pounded by numerous tornados, etc. While we didn't get a
tornado AT my house, we did have high winds. My C3E has never
flinched. I had some significant ice this winter and my friends swore
it wouldn't make it. Not a problem though. The beauty of F12 is they
WILL customize an antenna for your particular weather conditions. Who
else does that??????? I am a satisfied customer.

Steve, N4JQQ

Can't wait to try the XR-5 or something else with 12/17 on it.

"Guy Olinger, K2AV" wrote:

> "F12 have not accepted that this was a design flaw"
>
> Same tired old rag...
>
> Is this just a coded complaint that "mfr. made an improvement and
> didn't upgrade mine for free"? With emphasis on "free" and maybe
> expecting some kind of a self-effacing ground-scraping apology for
> effect?
>
> For most folks, a public change in a public design is a token of
> progress, an indicator that a mfr is alive and doing better things as
> time goes along.
>
> This year's Toyota has improvements not in the model I bought last
> year. Think they're going to "fix" mine for free?
>
> What about all the structural improvements that Cushcraft made to
> their shorty forty in the XM-240. Did that mean that Cushcraft was
> obliged to replace all the old models/parts with XM-240 stuff? That
> would be a formula for bankruptcy.
>
> Myself, I'm glad there is a ham antenna manufacturer still in business
> that has been pushing the design envelope.
>
> I can't count the number of times that I had to pull down and repair
> my old Hygain stuff. All that misery went away when I bought F12.
>
> And, frankly, that's the story I hear everywhere else. Really hard
> anymore to put any stock in a report of frequent F12 failures. Common
> sense would suggest that the odd report out has something else going
> on, like trying to scrape by on the cheap using the lower rated
> antennas in severe locations, or poor assembly, or ...
>
> Now if half the people I know who have F12 were complaining about
> something, I'd be the first to pound on F12. But that ain't what's
> happening.
>
> Instead I see F12 stuff surviving nasty ice storms that put whole
> areas (like here) out of power for up to a week and more. My F12's are
> stronger than power poles, trees and a whole lot of outdoor
> arial/tower stuff that didn't make it around here last winter.
>
> As to free upgrades, even the government-ordered auto recalls aren't
> free. They're factored into the cost of the business, and we pay for
> them up front when we buy a new car.
>
> There ARE some ham antenna mfr's roundly deserving of being beat upon.
> F12 ain't one of 'em.
>
> There are mfr's who have listened to complaints/ideas/questions and
> used same to design something new and better. F12 IS one of 'em.
>
> No, I don't work for them, no commercial ties, nuthin. And I have keen
> interest in designs by other manufacturers.
>
> 73 all,
>
> Guy.

08-May-2003 WD4K
08-May-2003 Jim Brannigan