Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 dependability
Author: Andrew Williamson <andrew@gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 07-May-2003 19:25:48
In message <005301c31431$31d65930$0200a8c0@swift>, Guy Olinger, K2AV
<olinger@bellsouth.net> writes
>"F12 have not accepted that this was a design flaw"
>

>Same tired old rag...
>
>Is this just a coded complaint that "mfr. made an improvement and
>didn't upgrade mine for free"? With emphasis on "free" and maybe
>expecting some kind of a self-effacing ground-scraping apology for
>effect?

Don't be stupid. I never asked for any antenna to be upgraded to the
latest spec. In the past what I asked for was damaged parts to be
replaced that were damaged as a result of a failure which was caused by
the lack of bolts in the boom-element mounting bracket. F12 now install
bolts here on the higher rated antennas (where they didn't originally)
so there must have been a problem. If there had been no issues in that
area, then no bolts would have been added.

A while back I bought a new car. The front fog lamps kept steaming up
but the manufacturer replaced them for free, AND upgraded the seal to
the latest spec without cost. I just wanted them to rectify the fault
but they went further than that, and without me asking them to. Now,
*that* is customer service.

>And, frankly, that's the story I hear everywhere else. Really hard
>anymore to put any stock in a report of frequent F12 failures. Common
>sense would suggest that the odd report out has something else going
>on, like trying to scrape by on the cheap using the lower rated
>antennas in severe locations, or poor assembly, or ...

Poor assembly.... most definitely. The rivets that failed were FACTORY
installed by F12!! Every other homebrew antenna (51 elements on ~260ft
of boom) have had ZERO failures and most have been installed longer. So
don't try to say that I don't know how to build or install an antenna.

As for "trying to scrape by on the cheap using the lower rated antennas
in severe locations" - I don't think so. This was one of their higher
rated antennas (100mph rated vice 80mph standard) and it still failed.
Maybe you could then explain how a different 120mph rated antenna (5BA)
has failed TWICE (rivets again in an area that is now bolted) when it
has NEVER once seen winds over 106mph?

>Now if half the people I know who have F12 were complaining about
>something, I'd be the first to pound on F12. But that ain't what's
>happening.

Yeah, because they fixed the problem by installing bolts. However, the
people with the early versions with the design flaw have had to suffer.
These are the few problems you hear of.

>There are mfr's who have listened to complaints/ideas/questions and
>used same to design something new and better. F12 IS one of 'em.

Maybe they do design antennas better after complaints of problems, but
they don't seem to do much to help the owner to rectify those failure
areas on the antennas which highlighted those faults in the first place.
Yes, design upgrades/fixes are a good thing, but it is poor practice to
leave early customers of that product with a sub-standard product.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang
http://www.qsl.net/zl9ci/