Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 dependability
Author: Andrew Williamson <andrew@gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: 08-May-2003 19:27:21
In message <E19D97Q-0001vd-Kf.2003-05-06-21-33-55@imailg2.svr.pol.co.uk>
, Tom, the owner of Force12 writes

>There certainly are
>exceptions in weather conditions and one who lives in those zones should
>make it known at the time of order, regardless of the company they purchase
>from. I have tracked wind patterns and storm types for several years and
>know how to build antennas to meet any conditions.

In that case, would you like to explain the long list of failures on the
100mph rated Magnum 340 that I've shown, most with high resolution
pictures, at

http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/F12/index.htm

This antenna was installed at a location which semi-regularly sees gusts
in the 80mph region but only on the very odd occasion (once every few
years) sees them get anywhere near 100mph. In fact, the local
government owned weather monitoring station shows the maximum gust for a
30 year period in this area to be 87 knots (100mph). I think you'd
agree that the 100mph version was probably the one to install here. We
done our homework and that is why the 100mph rated antenna was bought
instead of the 80mph one, but it still failed numerous times and in lots
of places that the wind has no real effect on.

I've taken a lot of stick from some people on this reflector for
highlighting problem areas on some F12 antennas and have been called a
F12 basher. Those people are very quick to come back on my comments and
virtually call me a liar. To those people, take a look at the photos
and then ask yourself what you'd say and do if you owned this antenna.
Remember, it's supposed to be rated at 100mph and the local government
owned weather station has only recorded a peak wind gust at 100mph in a
30 year period.

Andrew Williamson GI0NWG / AC6WI
Homepage = http://www.gi0nwg.freeserve.co.uk/

One of the ZL9CI gang