Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: LPT-620 Mini Tower
Author: Alan C. Zack <k6acz@earthlink.net>
Date: 09-May-2003 18:41:53
A year ago I purchased a Force12 LPT-620 mini-tower. The description
for the LPT-620 indicates it can be raised and lowered more easily by
using an electric drill on it's winch but there are no instructions on
how to do so. I had presented the question of how to attach a drill
to the winch on this reflector and received several good responses
with suggestions. Unfortunately, none were viable.
I attended the Visalia Intl DX Convention this past weekend. I went
to the F12 booth and discussed raising my LPT-620 using an electric
drill with Tom, N6BT, owner of F12. Tom indicated I needed a sleeve
or loop assembly that slips over the crank handle threads that would
allow the drill to be used without damaging the threads. I asked
where do I obtain such an item. Tom stated they come with the winch.
I advised Tom my winch did not have one. Tom stated that was not his
problem and refused to discuss it with me further and started talking
to someone else at the booth. My contention is that although F12
purchases the winch from a sub-contractor it is still his
responsibility to assure the winch assembly is complete when he
installs it on his tower assemblies. Furthermore, I received the
tower with the winch handle reversed (pointing inward rather than out)
for shipping. Someone at F12 had to remove the winch handle, along
with this loop/sleeve piece, to reverse the handle, and may have
forgotten to replace it. In any case, I believe F12 owes me this
winch crank sleeve/loop piece which is part of the tower I purchased.
Tom says it is my problem with the winch company. I feel Tom should
look around his shop to see if he has any of these pieces laying
around to send me, and if not, request one for me from his winch
vendor. Believe me, when I was a Procurement Quality Engineer with
Boeing I could never get away with attempting to sell an electronic
component to a customer that was missing part of its assembly and
blame it on a sub-contractor who sold Boeing a less than complete
part.
So I am missing this piece that I need to protect the threads on my
winch in order to use a drill to raise or lower my tower. Does anyone
out there know what this part is and how I may obtain one?
The winch is model WG1500 manufactured by Dutton-Lainson in Hastings,
NE. I have written a letter to Dutton-Lainson but have not received a
reply as yet.

--
Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K6ACZ