Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: F12 dependability; Chill out Andrew!!
Author: Doug & Judy Stracener <ka5ysy@eatel.net>
Date: 09-May-2003 22:01:43
Hey Andrew:

1. Thank you for the long thread on bolts vs. rivets in aluminum tubing.
Please note that most aircraft use flush rivets to hold things
together at much higher airspeeds than an antenna.

2. Last time I was in Europe there was a severe problem with acid rain
from industrial air pollution, and I suspect your rivets and boom
assemblies are being corroded by that situation. Remember, aluminum does
"rust". We have a similar situation in Louisiana due to all the
petrochemical industry to the point that I have seen aluminum boats
badly damaged at the rivet points, as well as all other through-hull
fitting if left long enough without washdown.

3. Most of us know how and when to do normal maintenance and repairs on
stuff hanging out in the weather on a routine basis. We have major
hurricanes as well as the occasional tornados in Louisiana, and I have
had antennas damaged and blown down, and never have expected the antenna
manufacturer to replace everything that broke. That would be totally
unreasonable by any standard. Most of the companies I deal with accept
constructive suggestions and are eager to help customers; it is not in
their interest to sell junk to anyone if they intend to stay in business
for long.

4. Since I believe you have made it abundently clear that you don't like
F12 for whatever reason, Get another antenna you are happy with, and
please go to your local pub, get a pint of stout and chill out. This
rant is getting old, and you are making yourself look foolish and very
childish and immature to the whole world in the process.

Doug Stracener
KA5YSY
Baton Rouge

* 09-May-2003 Doug & Judy Stracener
This Author (May-2003)
  Subject   Date
* F12 dependability; Chill out Andrew!! 09-May-2003