Index Thread Archive May-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for May-2003Index by Author for May-2003Index by Date for May-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: C4 tuning jumpers
Author: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: 19-May-2003 20:18:06
At 08:29 PM 5/19/03 -0400, WW3S wrote:
>I bought the C4-C to upgrade my C3-E to the 40m version. Assembly pretty
>straightforward so far but now I'm to the tuning jumper part and I'm a
>little confused. The dimensions given for mid point, cw , etc, are they from
>the center of the boom to the center of the jumper or are they measured down
>the loading wire? It's says install the bend toward the outside but if I do
>that I have to bend the jumper a fair amount to get it to line up? I thought
>there used to be pixs on the website but I cant find them on the new
>site...anyone know of any pixs somewhere that illustrate the tuning jumper?

Yes. Go to http://www.qth.com/force12/temp/techtips.htm. It is not up
right now -- qth.com appears to be down -- but I found them there last week.

I'm not sure how the measurements are calculated but I did it from the
fiberglass spreader to the mid-point of the insulator in the
element. Since the driven element in the C-4 configuration is fairly close
to the mast, it is feasible to take an antenna analyser up there and adjust
the spacing after you set it up on the ground. The jumpers are not very
dimensionally precise, so don't worry if you have to bend them a little.

One STRONG caution -- the alumo-weld wire they use for the loading wires is
very strong but very brittle and prone to breakage from flexing. I mean it
-- if you bend it, and then try to straighten the bend, it will probably
snap the first time. The best thing to do is make the bend at the spreader
a fairly large radius -- not a sharp fold -- and then make further tension
adjustments on the loading wire at the stud attached to the
element. There, too, heed the caution not to try to tighten it too tight,
or you will have two pieces of wire in your hands. Don't pull so much
tension that the element appears straight -- it needs to sag a little.

I would also suggest using aluminum split bolts from Home Depot in lieu of
the cable clamps that are provided with the antenna. Again, don't
over-tighten, but they do provide more surface clamping area and a firmer
hold than the cable clamps.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 9 May 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm

* 19-May-2003 Pete Smith
19-May-2003 WW3S
This Author (May-2003)