Index Thread Archive Jun-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2003Index by Author for Jun-2003Index by Date for Jun-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Loading Sigma-5 on 40/80m
Author: Ed Thierbach <ethierba@umich.edu>
Date: 26-Jun-2003 14:57:25
Hi, everyone -

My apologies if this is a "newbie-ish" sort of question, but I want to
be sure before I do something stupid. If I attempt to load my Sigma-5
on 40 or 80 meters with a wide-range antenna tuner, is there a risk of
damaging the antenna somehow? I'll only be using 100W max, so I don't
expect to melt the aluminum :-), but I want to be sure I"m not going to
damage something on the PCB.

I do realize that "inefficient" is an understatement in this scenario,
but I want to run some experiments to see if I can radiate enough
signal to reach the local section emergency nets on 40 and 80. I can
and will put up a real 40/80 dipole eventually, but it would be nice to
know if I can just tote my S-5 to a field site and get 40 and/or 80 as
well as 10-20.

Thanks and 73,
-Ed-

Ed Thierbach, AB8OJ