Index Thread Archive Jun-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2003Index by Author for Jun-2003Index by Date for Jun-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Loading Sigma-5 on 40/80m
Author: Rich Holoch <rholoch@attbi.com>
Date: 26-Jun-2003 15:10:17
I'm not sure a vertical dipole makes a great NVIS antenna - of course you
could mount the Sigma antennas horizontally for NVIS, and at less than a
full wavelength high for the band you will be using it on. You might
consider using the Sigma 40XK instead of the Sigma 5 - especially if you are
going to set up on one band for hours at a time. I have a 40XK and a Sigma 5
GT. I haven't tried it on 80M, but it is possible to make a set of coils for
80M. Depending on what tuner you use it might work OK on 80M for local
stuff.

I have used the 40XK all winter with the coils set to 30M and used a tuner
for 40 and 30M, and was able to work over 100 countries on each band. I use
the Sigma 5 Gt for 40 - 10. So I can vouch for their DX-ability, and that
the 40XK still works great on 40M even with 30M coils and a tuner . . . .

Rich
KY6R