Index Thread Archive Jun-2003 Archive Send
 Main index   Previous in threadNext in thread   Previous in archiveNext in archive   Index by Subject for Jun-2003Index by Author for Jun-2003Index by Date for Jun-2003   Index by Subject for ArchiveIndex by Author for ArchiveIndex by Date for Archive   Reply to messageNew message

Subject: Does F12 have production problems?
Author: David Inger <energy@concentric.net>
Date: 26-Jun-2003 23:49:38
Hello all,

Well sad to say my recent and first experience with Force12 is my
last. Here's my story:

I bought a Sigma V during Force12's "pre-Dayton" sale in March. There
was a tidy discount on the antenna, and, based on all
the positive reviews, I decided to buy one. I live in Santa Barbara,
about 2 hour's drive from the Force12 factory. I asked if I
could drive up and pick up the antenna, but was told that was not
possible. OK, I trust UPS. I was not informed that there
would be a long lead time for delivery. Remember, this is straight from
the factory, not a middleman.

Four weeks latter, no antenna. I call the factory and was told there
was a delay in delivery of the circuit board, but the antenna
would be shipped the next week. 2-3 weeks latter, no antenna. I call
again, and was told my antenna was ready for
shipment. Sure enough, it arrived 2 days later in the middle of May.

I have a engineering consulting business, and Rule #1 is to be straight
with the client. If there is a delivery or deadline problem,
I take the initiative and tell the client what's what.

Now all this would be water under the bridge, if I had received a
quality product. Am I the only one who thinks the Sigma V is
built even below MFJ standards? Nice MIG/TIG welding at the joints but
everything else is a joke. Someone ("Charlie" in the
case of my antenna) used a marking pen to draw arrows on the pieces to
show what connects to where. Either dump the
marking pen or use a real label. Remember folks, current cost for this
antenna is $350. The PVC (thinwall plumbing pipe) that
is used to enclose the relay board has a slot cut in it (the exit point
for the coax connection and control cable.) that looks like it
was made by a drunk wielding a hacksaw. If I am looking for a homebrew
product, I will make it myself; I can butcher PVC
pipe with the best of them.

OK, now let's talk about the "control head." It consists of a low-cost
rotary switch mounted on a bent piece of plastic. I
cannot believe how cheesy this is. Again for the going price, they
could have purchased a cheap Radio Shack project box,
and at least made some attempt to produce a quality product.

I assembled the antenna and get low SWR on all bands but 20-M. Super
high SWR on all of 20 from 14.000 to 14.350. I
hear this is a common problem, but not everybody has an antenna analyzer
to figure out how to compress or stretch the 20-m
coils. Force12 claims that the antenna will resonate on the low or high
end of 20-m but will not cover the whole band. Fair
enough, but mine resonates nowhere on 20.

Called Force12 yesterday (6/25), the nice lady who answers the phone
said Tom was out but if I left my number he would call
when he gets back. Well , guess what? No call.

Sorry, all you Force12 lovers, but I don't get it. Maybe mine Sigma V
was made by that "counterfeit" Force12 factory. If
Force12 would take this piece of junk back, I will ship it to them in an
instance; at my expense.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA
(who usually doesn't get this upset over a product)

Mihai Mateescu wrote:

Hi everybody,

I wonder if any of you US hams is experiencing delivery delays for F12

products....

27-Jun-2003 Alan C. Zack
27-Jun-2003 Ted Bohrer
* 26-Jun-2003 David Inger
26-Jun-2003 Roy D Lincoln
26-Jun-2003 Charles Morrison
26-Jun-2003 DaveLaBat
26-Jun-2003 Guy Olinger, K2AV
26-Jun-2003 Coker, Timothy J
26-Jun-2003 Tim Ellison
26-Jun-2003 Mihai Mateescu
26-Jun-2003 wa4dou@juno.com
26-Jun-2003 Henry Heidtmann
26-Jun-2003 Mihail Mateescu
This Author (Jun-2003)
  Subject   Date
* Does F12 have production problems? 26-Jun-2003